Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service appertains to storing and/or sharing specific web content on a web server handled by a website hosting supplier. There are various types of hosting services used for different goals, so let's review them. In that way, you can pick what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to run a site, email addresses, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by some hosts, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts are frequently supported by showing adverts beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a certain interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a totally incorrect interpretation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the load between independent sets of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different site hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting service for images only. This hosting brand is good if you would like to share a great amount of pictures with friends or associates since the service is typically free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your e-mail addresses. Some distributors provide website hosting services for websites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to run an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to have a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can open e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file produces a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many video clips as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to run a web site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and mail aliases, upload video clips, etc. At Hola Host, for instance, you can examine web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for particular content solely.